Old Amsterdam Tomato Gratin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 minced garlic
- 2/3 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ can diced tomatoes without liquid
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup diced Old Amsterdam cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 12 medium firm tomatoes, tops cut (and reserved) then carefully cored and seeded
Pre-heat oven to 400° F. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over medium-high heat; cook onion and garlic 2 minutes; add ground beef and cook until brown. Stir in tomato paste. Add diced tomatoes, chopped oregano, thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set ground beef mixture aside to cool, and then mix in diced Old Amsterdam. Fill cored tomatoes with beef mixture and cover with their tops.
Arrange tomatoes in foil-lined ceramic or glass baking dish. Sprinkle tomatoes with the remaining olive oil and season with a bit of salt and pepper. Garnish with sprigs of thyme and bake 18 minutes.